1. Who can apply to SUN?

The minimum entry requirement is to hold a BA degree.
There are two Tracks in the program:
  • Track I courses have a strong research focus and are targeted at primarily Ph.D. students, junior faculty and researchers, and postdoctoral fellows. MA students are also eligible. Those courses with an interest in exploring the policy aspects of research as well may encourage the participation of both academics and professionals.

  • Track II courses mostly address the professional development needs of practitioners, policy-makers, etc. These courses tend to provide training and/or deal with policy issues at a practical, applied level and are targeted at mostly practitioners, or a mix of academics and professionals.

[back to top]

2. Am I required to have any prior knowledge or qualifications?

In general, the only minimum qualification you need is a college or university degree. However, some courses may specify additional requirements in their course description. Make sure you check the relevant course page before you submit your application.
[back to top]

3. Is my English good enough? Will it be tested?

You need to have a strong command of English to be able to participate actively in discussions, give presentations, etc. During the course teachers use interactive methods and you are expected to participate in a variety of class activities requiring fluent English skills.
There is no formal testing, but you have to fill out a self-evaluating questionnaire in the application form unless you are a native speaker or you have a degree in English. If there is a discrepancy between the stated level of your English and your actual performance, your fellowship may be terminated and you will not be eligible for any other funding from CEU.
Also, if you are shortlisted in the first round of selection, your course coordinator may contact you by telephone to check your language skills. With a good level of English your chances of acceptance are higher.
[back to top]

4. Can I attend two courses at the same time?

No, you can't. If two courses are run parallel or overlap you can attend only one course.
[back to top]

5. Can I attend two consecutive courses?

Yes, you can but can apply for funding for only one (provided you are eligible for a scholarship).
[back to top]

6. How many courses can I apply to?

You can only apply to two courses. You need to submit two separate application forms in the online system and two different sets of application documents.
[back to top]

7. If I apply to two courses, is it all right if I just submit the same attachments for both?

Not really. Since you apply to two different courses, some of the attachments will probably have to be different such as the statement of purpose, for instance, in which you explain why you want to be admitted to that particular course, etc. Please check the requirements on the relevant course web sites.
[back to top]

8. If I sent an application last year as well, do I need to send a new one again?

[back to top]

9. May I apply after the application deadline has expired?

You may, but your application will be stamped as 'late' and it will be at the discretion of the course director whether s/he will include it in the selection process.
[back to top]

10. If I am experiencing technical problems when trying to create an Embark account or to complete an online application, what should I do?

Please refer to Embark's Help Center. You may find the solution for your problem in the Support Forums. If not, submit a request to Embark's support staff [link]. They will get back to you with a solution within a day or two.
[back to top]

11. My attachment (CV, statement of purpose, research proposal, etc.) consists of more than one page. How can I upload documents of multiple pages?

You can easily upload a document of up to a hundred pages (as long as it does not exceed 2 MB in size) if you scan all pages of the document into one single file. It is a matter of how you set your scanner.
[back to top]

12. What am I to do if I want to apply to two courses?

You must submit a separate application for each course you want to be considered for. Regarding how to do it, refer to the relevant instruction (Apply to more than one course) in Step 1 of the Application Form. DO NOT CREATE more than one account to apply to two courses.
[back to top]

13. Can recommendations be mailed?

No, recommendations are expected to be submitted online via the Embark application system.
If the referee cannot submit the recommendation online, he should contact the Summer University Office at .[back to top]

14. Can recommendations be emailed or faxed?

No, they cannot - please see the previous question.
[back to top]

15. I have submitted my application and just realized I need to make some corrections in it. What can I do?

Email your edits to and we will make the updates to your application. DO NOT CREATE another account to re-submit your application.
[back to top]

16. I cannot find my school's name in the list that pops up when I try to enter it on the Education or Employment Data page. What should I do?

The list contains nearly 20,000 (that is twenty thousand) entries, so it is very unlikely that your school is not included in it. Try different ways searching for it; entering the city in which it is located almost always helps if you cannot find it by the name. Enter "School Not Found" only if you have made ABSOLUTELY SURE that the list does not contain your school.
[back to top]

17. I am a former CEU student and am now applying for a SUN course. Am I required to upload official copies of academic records if the course requires these?

No, we have your records on file.
[back to top]

18. If I am a former SUN participant, what are my chances to be accepted?

Participants are not eligible to receive financial aid if they attended
  • a CRC (Curriculum Resource Center) session in the same calendar or academic year (i.e., they must wait one year after their participation in one of the above programs before applying to SUN), or
  • two CEU faculty initiative activities (i.e., CRC, SUN) within a four-year period. You can apply, however, on a fee-paying basis without restrictions.

[back to top]

19. When will I find out about the decision?

You are supposed to receive notification by the end of April for most courses (please check course-specific information on the relevant course web page under "Important course dates"). The SUN Office will send an e-mail message. If you have not heard from us till mid May, please contact the SUN Office staff at .
[back to top]

20. I got accepted and I confirmed/declined my participation, but I have not received response to my email. Is this normal?

Due to the restricted spam filtering options some emails may get hooked on and lost in our spam filtering system. We respond to each incoming confirmation/decline email within 2-3 business days. If you do not hear back from us a week after you sent your confirmation/decline, please contact one of our colleagues via their personal email addresses. Click here for the contact information page.
[back to top]

21. If I'm accepted, is there anything I need to do before the course?

Some time in May, the SUN Office will post the reading materials for the courses, and provide participants with a login name and a password to access the site. Please make sure you read the texts assigned and accomplish the assignments if any. Please note that if you received course assignments and have not completed them by the deadline, the program may withdraw your invitation.
[back to top]

22. If I am on the waiting list, what are my chances to be accepted?

It is difficult to predict. However, on average, 15% of accepted applicants have to turn down our invitation every year, who cannot accept the fellowship for some reason and whose places will be offered to those on the waiting lists. If you live in a country from where traveling to Hungary is somewhat difficult because of visa requirements, do not expect an invitation later than the end of May.
[back to top]

23. Supposing I have been admitted but cannot come this year, does this mean I can come next year?

Since courses are not the same, you have to apply again.
[back to top]

24. Are the courses the same every year?

No. Some of the courses run several times, but normally not longer than three consecutive years. After a year or two, the same or a revised course may be held again.
[back to top]

25. How can I find out more about the courses?

From time to time you should check the SUN web site, which will be constantly updated. You'll find a separate course page containing updated brief and detailed course descriptions, syllabus, schedule, CVs of the teachers, occasionally bibliographies for the course. From May onwards, courses will make the reading materials available online. You will receive a login name and a password from the SUN Office so that you can access the password protected site.
[back to top]

26. What should I do if I have difficulty accessing or downloading the reading materials?

Please contact Eva Barbara Bodogan at in such cases. She will assist you with these technical problems.
[back to top]

27. What should I do with the reading materials once I've downloaded and read them?

Please print the texts and bring them with you to Budapest so that you can use them during the discussions. Please contact Eva Barbara Bodogan at in case you have difficulty printing the texts.
[back to top]

28. Can I get academic credits for a SUN course?

Research-intensive academic courses in Track I offer 1 or 2 ECTS points (check the number on the relevant course web site), which may be accepted for credit transfer by the participants' home universities. Those who wish to obtain these credits should inquire about the possible transfer at their home institution prior to their enrollment. The Summer University Office will send a transcript to those who have fulfilled all the necessary course requirements and request one.
Participants of Track II courses may also inquire at their home universities whether they will accept Summer School courses towards their own degree programs. If yes, we can provide you with documentation for this purpose upon successful completion of the course.
[back to top]

29. Will I receive a certificate?

Certificates are awarded for full attendance, satisfactory class participation and the production of satisfactory coursework such as individual or group presentation, submission of written assignments, etc.
[back to top]

30. Do I have to pay for the course?

Participants from developed countries are expected to cover their participation costs. However, there are a limited number of tuition waivers available which may be applied for on a competitive basis.

Participants from Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union and Mongolia, as well as those coming from countries of emerging democracies worldwide are eligible to apply for financial aid.

The Advanced European Union Legal Practice course accepts only fee-paying applications (no tuition waivers are available).

All participants are responsible for covering their own living expenses (local transportation, airport transfer, meals, etc.) while in Budapest unless they receive a special scholarship.
[back to top]

31. What does the fellowship cover?

It covers tuition costs (EUR 300/1week, EUR 550/2 weeks), and accommodation in double rooms in CEU's Residence Center. In addition, it may contain a full or partial travel grant.

All packages will include the following:
  • tuition of 24 contact hours per week
  • a certificate of attendance
  • access to course E-learning page (with readings, assignments, etc.)
  • access to CEU facilities (Library, IT services, sports centre including the use of the indoor swimming pool, tennis courts)
  • some social and cultural events (welcome and farewell reception, outings, field trips, film screenings, etc.)
[back to top]

32. Is financial aid available for those not receiving scholarship?

Tuition waivers can be granted after your request has been reviewed and found justified. A tuition waiver request from those not eligible for financial aid should be included in the online application submitted.
[back to top]

33. If I am not accepted on a scholarship basis, can I apply as a fee-paying student?

Yes, if your application was accepted on academic merit, but was rejected due to lack of funding, you may be accepted on a fee-paying basis if there are still available places in the course.
[back to top]

34. Who is eligible for a travel grant?

Participants coming from emerging democracies worldwide are eligible, except the citizens of the following countries: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia and the western part of Ukraine.
Visa costs and short domestic trips are not reimbursed.
[back to top]

35. If I am a fee-paying student, when and how am I supposed to pay?

Fee-paying participants are expected to pay EUR 300/1 week, EUR 550/2 weeks of instruction by May 28, 2010. Fees and fee-payment deadlines may vary with courses so please check these on the relevant course web sites.
In case you need an invoice for the tuition fee please contact our office at before you make the payment. Please send the following information: name and address of the company, your course name and exact amount.

Please do NOT include accommodation costs when you transfer the tuition fee.
Those who are responsible for covering their own accommodation costs should pay upon arrival at the hotel either in cash or by credit card.

Transfer payment

When making your payment please make sure
  • Your name and your course's name is indicated in the "COMMENT" field of the money transfer. Without this information we cannot identify your payment.
  • You cover all the bank charges.
A) Those wishing to transfer money to the University's EURO account will need the following information:
Bank name: CIB Bank Zrt.
Bank address: 1054 Budapest, Szabadság tér 15.
Name of account: Central European University Corporation
Account number: 9001983205
IBAN (International Bank Account Number): HU21 1110 0104 9001 9832 0500 0005
B) Those wishing to transfer money to the University's USD account please use the daily currency exchange rate when wiring to the account below:
Bank name: CIB Bank Zrt.
Bank address: 1054 Budapest, Szabadság tér 15.
Name of account: Central European University Corporation
Account number: 9001983202
IBAN (International Bank Account Number): HU47 1110 0104 9001 9832 0200 0006
C) Those wishing to transfer HUF to the University's HUF account please use the daily currency exchange rate when wiring to the account below:
Bank name: CIB Bank Zrt.
Bank address: 1054 Budapest, Szabadság tér 15.
Name of account: Central European University Corporation
Account number: 9001983259
IBAN (International Bank Account Number): HU21 1110 0104 9001 9832 5900 0002
D) Those wishing to transfer money to the University's USD account from the United States of America please use the daily currency exchange rate when wiring to the account below:
Bank name: Citibank N. A.
Bank address: 111 Wall Street, 6th floor, New York, NY 10043
ABA Code: 021000089
Name of account: Central European University Corporation
Account number: 40749438

Check payment:

Checks should be sent to:
Summer University Office
1051 Budapest
Nádor u. 9.

Beneficiary on the check should be: Central European University.

Please make sure your name and your course's name is indicated on the check; without this information we cannot identify your payment.
[back to top]

36. Can I pay by credit card?

You can only pay by credit card in the Residence Hall.
[back to top]

37. What facilities does CEU offer?

CEU possesses an excellent library holding the largest collection of English-language materials in social sciences and humanities in Central and Eastern Europe. You can check the CEU Library catalogue online at
The Open Society Archives also has an associated library of books and periodicals, the core of which is the library of Radio Free Europe and Radio Liberty. Additional information on the Open Society Archives is available at The university has several computer labs with free email and internet access for SUN participants and also free wi-fi access and laptop areas on its premises. See .
[back to top]

38. Can I stay longer than the duration of the course?

Depending on housing availability, you can stay longer. You need to contact the SUN Office to find out if there is a room available, and you have to pay for it out of your own pocket.
[back to top]

39. Will I have any free time to work in the Library, see the city, etc.?

To be honest, not much. SUN is a highly intense experience. Class attendance is compulsory, so you will be mostly in the classroom until 4 or 5 p.m. with short coffee breaks and a longer lunch break in the middle of the day. You will receive reading and/or written assignments to accomplish from one day to the next. There is very little time left to do your own research in the Library or even to explore the city.
[back to top]

40. Where are we going to stay?

Participants stay at CEU's Residence Center, which offers double rooms to SUN participants at the rate of 17 EUR/person/night including breakfast. The Residence Hall is a modern, air-conditioned building with a swimming pool, various sports and catering facilities and a computer lab.
[back to top]

41. If I don't want to share a room with someone, can I have a single room?

A single room with a private bathroom costs 28 EUR per night. If you are a scholarship participant, a double room accommodation is included in the scholarship. You can upgrade your room, but will then have to pay for the difference out of your own pocket. You have to contact the SUN office if you would prefer to have a single room and are willing to pay for the difference.
[back to top]

42. How far is CEU's Residence Center from the university?

It is approximately a 45-minute ride by bus and the underground.
[back to top]

43. If I'd prefer to stay somewhere else, not in the Residence Center, can I receive my housing costs to be spent on the accommodation of my own choice?

No, there's no such option for scholarship participants.
[back to top]

44. Where can I find computers on CEU premises?

There are five computer labs (1-5), located in the Basement of Faculty Tower Nador u. 9, which are available to all CEU students. There is also a small computer lab in the Dormitory, on the 1st floor. Lab assistants are available at the computer labs. For exact locations and opening hours, please consult the IT Department's web page.
[back to top]

45. How can I contact the IT Department?

While in the CEU main campus you can contact the IT Department via its Support Unit (ITSU) Helpdesks:
  • in the Nádor 9. building, -1 Basement Level, at the computer labs (extension 3030),
  • in the Nádor 11. building (extension 2270),
  • in the Kerepesi dormitory, on the 1st floor, in front of the computer lab (extension 5043)
  • in the Zrínyi 14. building, on the 5th floor (extension 2000)
  • or via e-mail at .

[back to top]

46. How will I be able to use a computer and connect the CEU network?

You will receive a login name and a password at the orientation at the beginning of the course. Here you will also receive information about the opening hours and locations of computer labs, about the file, mail, printing service and the internet, as well as an introduction to the network and other useful do's and don'ts.
[back to top]

47. Can I use my laptop in the main campus?

Yes. If your laptop is suitable for WiFi connections, you can access the wireless network in the CEU at several locations. Click here for the list of WiFi areas.

If your laptop is not equipped with WiFi hardware, you can only connect the internet with a network cable. Please make sure you bring one with you. If you do not have network cable, you can purchase one for about 4-5 EUR at any IT shop in Budapest. With this cable you can access the internet without any password, at the following locations within the CEU main campus (Nador 9):
  • At the "circus-bridge" which connects the 1st floor of Faculty Tower and Monument buildings
  • At the "Laptop Area" on the ground floor of the foyer between Faculty Tower and Monument building (just under the "bridge").

[back to top]

48. Can I use my laptop in my room at the Residence Center (Dormitory)?

Yes, you can. You will however need to have a network cable with you as well. If you do not have network cable, you can purchase one for about 4-5 EUR at any IT shop in Budapest. In addition, you need to contact the computer lab assistant in the Residence Center, whose office is located on the 1st floor, in front of the computer lab. He will have to activate the network slot in your room. If you cannot find him in his office he is most probably helping out somebody else, so you should simply leave a message for him at the door.
Please note that WiFi connection in the Residence center is available only at the main hall.
[back to top]

49. What should I do about getting a visa?

You can find a detailed list of countries with or without visa requirement on the web page of the Hungarian Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
[back to top]

50. If I have received a travel grant, who will take care of my travel?

Those receiving a travel grant need to book their ticket as soon as possible after notification. In most cases the amount of travel grant is less than the actual ticket price, and participants need to cover the difference from their own budget. This is why it is most important to make the ticket booking at the earliest date in order to secure the cheapest possible ticket.
In case your travel grant exceeds 500 Euro, the pre-approval of your booking is required. Please contact with your ticket reservation. Travel grants only cover economy flights between Budapest and the city of your residence. No other destinations can be included. If your itinerary must include more than two destinations, reimbursement will be based upon direct flight airfares.
[back to top]

51. If I have received a travel grant, how will the reimbursement take place?

The travel grant amount will be returned to grant recipients in Budapest on arrival if they can submit valid documentation (see details below). If there is no sufficient documentation available, the original ticket has to be mailed back and reimbursement will be made via bank transfer or check.
[back to top]

52. If I have received a travel grant, what document do I need to present for the reimbursement?

Necessary documents for reimbursement:

- an original invoice issued by the travel agency addressed to CEU 1051 Budapest Nador utca 9. or to your name
- or the original travel ticket
- or the e-ticket AND the boarding pass

Please note that in case the ticket was issued by a Hungarian company (e.g. Wizzair, Malev or MAV [Hungarian Rail]), reimbursement can be made only if the invoice is made out to CEU 1051 Budapest Nador utca 9. Please remember to provide this address when booking your ticket.
Reimbursement will be made up to the actual travel expenditure supported by the submitted documents.
If no invoices are available, we can only reimburse you upon sending the original tickets/invoice back to Budapest.
Reimbursement can either be done by bank transfer or check.
No visa costs can be included in the reimbursement.
[back to top]

53. I have not received response to my email. What should I do?

Due to the restricted spam filtering options some emails may get hooked on and lost in our spam filtering system. We tend to respond to each incoming email within 2-3 business days. If you do not hear back from us after a week, please contact one of our colleagues via their personal email addresses. Click here for the contact information page.
[back to top]

54. Are activities organized outside of the classes?

Yes. These activities are all optional and are organized after 5 pm. and on the weekends.
The supplementary academic events include public lectures, field trips, occasionally film screenings, etc.
Social events include welcome and farewell parties and a boat trip. Depending on the program schedule most of the courses will be invited to a boat trip on the Danube during their stay in Budapest. There will be NO centrally organized sight-seeing tours, so be prepared to explore the city on your own or with your fellow participants. Your course coordinator may, however, offer the group an optional walking tour. At the end of the course, usually there is a farewell party arranged for each course separately.
[back to top]

55. How can I come back to CEU to do further curriculum development or research work?

There are various fellowships available that you can apply for, such as a CRC visit, Junior/Senior Research Fellowships, etc. You can find out more about them from the SEP Office of CEU and at
[back to top]

56. How do I get to the hotel from the airport/station?

Please check the links in the Logistics section of your course web site. Information will be posted there will include directions to the Residence Center.
[back to top]

57. Can I bring my family with me?

The workload is high during your course therefore we advise you not to bring your family with you. If, however, you would still like to bring someone, it is your responsibility to find out in the Residence Center in advance whether there is a double room available. You have to take care of the visa arrangements if any, and pay for all additional costs. For reservation please contact the Residence Center at
[back to top]

58. Do we receive meals?

You will receive breakfast every day. All other meals should be covered on your own. The SUN Office will offer tips about where you can have lunch at a reasonable price in the university's neighborhood.
[back to top]

59. Do I receive medical treatment in case I need it?

All participants are responsible to have a valid health insurance policy during their stay at CEU. If you suffer from a chronic disease, please make sure you bring your medication with you.
[back to top]

60. What's the weather like in Budapest in July?

You can click on or to check the weather forecast.
[back to top]