Probabilistic Causality
July 21 - August 1, 2008


Do you need a visa to come to Hungary?

  1. No, I don't. - You can skip this section

  2. I'm not sure. - At the following link of the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs you can check in what cases it is possible to enter Hungary without a visa: General information about entering Hungary
    If your country is not listed, you need a visa, so please go to section 3.

  3. Yes, I do.
    What kind of a visa do I need to apply for?

    A Schengen visa
    The Schengen visa and entry regulations are only applicable for a stay not exceeding 90 days.

    From December 21, 2007 Hungary is a member of the Schengen Area, and applies the Schengen legislation in full. From December 21, 2007 24 states, 22 of the 27 member states of the European Union (Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden) as well as Norway and Iceland are part of the Schengen Area. At the same time several members of the European Union, i.e. Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom do not yet participate in the Schengen cooperation.

    Significant changes subsequent to Hungary's Schengen-membership are that:

    • visas and residence permits issued by one of the Schengen States are valid also for Hungary,

    • visas issued by Hungarian representations abroad and residence permits issued by Hungarian national authorities are also valid for the entire Schengen Area. The visa sticker, which looks the same for all Schengen States, bears the words "valid for Schengen States".

    Where can I get my visa?

    You can get your visa at the Consular section of the Hungarian Embassy of your country. If there are more Consulates, please choose the one closest to your residence.

    If there is no Hungarian representation in your country, or in the country of your permanent residence,the visa application can be handed in at any Hungarian consulate. Honorary consuls can help you with your visa application if there is no Hungarian or any Schengen state representation in your country.


    - Hungarian Consular Offices worldwide
    - Honorary Consulates

    What do I need for the visa?

    Please visit the web site of the Hungarian Consulate where you intend to apply for the visa. They have the list of necessary documents and also the visa application form that you can download.

    Your passport needs to be valid till November 2008 if you wish to come to Budapest in June-July.
    If it expires before that, please renew it urgently, leaving enough time - 2-3 weeks- for the visa process.

    We will send you the original of your invitation letter with the housing information by airmail to your contact address. Please let us know at which Hungarian Consulate you will apply for your visa so that we can contact them.

    For more information please visit the web site of the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

    - Entry of foreigners to Hungary - opening page
    - General information about entering Hungary

Please note that the SUN travel grant does not include visa costs.
Participants need to cover their visa expenses and visa-related travel costs.